There are a number of opportunities for engaging in research with our group.

For Prospective Graduate Students:

If you are currently an undergraduate junior or senior interested in pursuing a Ph.D. degree in our group, you should first apply for graduate study in Chemistry at UW-Madison. To find out if you qualify for graduate study and begin he application process, click here.  Students who have already been accepted into the Ph.D. program are encouraged to visit UW-Madison on our graduate recruiting weekend, to be held March 9-11, 2012; other dates/times can also be arranged as necessary. Some travel support is usually provided. You must first apply for graduate study and be accepted.  Most students applying for research in our group focus in Materials Chemistry, Physical Chemistry,  Analytical Chemistry, or Chemical Biology; however, students from all areas are welcome.

Students who are not yet ready to apply for graduate study are always welcome to visit the department. Visits can be arranged by contacting Prof. Hamers or  Sue Martin-Zernicke.  Some students in sophomore-junior years who are interested in possibly coming to Madison after completion of their undergraduate degree may want to pursue summer research here through one of the REU programs described below.

Research Experience for Undergraduates

If you are a non-UW student interested in full-time summer research in our group, funding may be available through one of several UW-Madison Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program.  There ae several REU programs on campus, including the REU in Chemistry and Chemical/Biological Engineering  and the REU in the Chemistry of Materials for Renewable Energy. REU programs pay a summer stipend, travel expenses, and host a range of social events to foster a sense of community among summer participants.

Current UW-Madison Students:

If you are a UW student interested in research, there may be opportunities to conduct research in the group. Academic-year slots are limited, but students are encouraged to contact Prof. Hamers about possible opportunities.  Students typically receive credit during the acadmic year, registering for Chem 299/699 (Independent Study) and work closely under the direct supervision of a Ph.D. student or postdoc.  Partial or full support may be available during the summer for students who are doing research during the academic year.

High-School Students:

High-school students typically engage with our group through the Madison Metropolitan School District's High School Science Intern Program, which places outstanding high school students into university research labs for full-time research during the summer.   Additional opportunities outside of this program may sometimes be available.  High school internships are done on a volunteer (unpaid) basis.